Monday, December 15, 2014

Septic hip in Kids, part 2: This time it's personal...

I wrote about the "textbook" approach to differentiating the septic hip from plain ol' synovitis in a previous post Septic hip in kids: 5 myths of ED evaluation. Today, I want to review a real case of mine, and highlight both the weakness of the older methods, and the advantages of the newer perspective.

The Case

A 4 year-old male complained of pain in his hip, bad enough that he couldn't put his weight on it. It had started 1 day ago, but had worsened despite acetaminophen. There was no significant recent trauma. He has seemed ill yesterday, though, and while the parents had not taken a temperature, he had "felt hot," and had some mild chills. His temperature in the ED was 100.2.

His right hip was held in slight flexion and external rotation, and he could not bear weight. Labs were obtained, and showed a WBC of 12.2, and (after hours of waiting) and ESR of 28. The CRP doesn't get run at night.

Were the Kocher criteria helpful? (Spoiler: No!)

Kocher-type criteria are applied to help decide on the need to perform an ultrasound, and then decide on the need for aspirating a hip effusion if it is found on US. How did our patient do?
  • Non-weight-bearing - 1 point
  • Temp < 38.5 - 0 points
  • WBC > 12 - 1 point
  • ESR < 40 - 0 point
  • CRP - not available
So, 2 points, which means that he has a probability of having septic arthritis of...
Sultan 2010
... somewhere around 11 - 60%. But notice that if the WBC had been just trivially lower, say 11.8 instead of 12.2, we would have only had 1 point, and the risk would have dropped to 3- 36%.

Heck, say we also had given him a strong analgesic, and he was then able to walk a little. He would have then had 0 predictors, and so only had a risk of somewhere between < 0.2% and ... 17%???

Clearly, these criteria are not helpful at "ruling-out" the possibility of septic arthritis, so I decided to decide by looking at the hip.

Was Ultrasound helpful? (Spoiler: Yes!)

Quick guide to placing the probe :
From Tsung and Blaivas

First I checked the "good" hip, the left side:


I then checked the "bad" hip, the right:


Looked like there was a difference!


Generally, any effusion greater than 5 mm, or 2 mm greater than the contralateral side, is considered positive. This looks pretty unambiguous, and the radiologogist agreed, and told me that a formal ultrasound was not needed in this case.

Clinical course:

The hip was aspirated by IR in the ED (Those guys are total champs at this, but I'm doing this next time! Very straight-forward.), and the patient admitted. The cell count cam back quite high, around 100,000 white cells/ml, which would have placed this patient as a "true positive" case of septic arthritis in almost any study.

However, by the time this result came back, the patient was tearing around the pediatric floor, completely asymptomatic. The culture never grew out an organism, and he was discharged as a transient synovitis.

Bottom Line:

This was the first time I had a patient where I was truly concerned about septic arthritis of a pediatric hip. The use of US clarified the diagnosis early in the visit, and pointed to a greater role in future case. As I highlighted in my prior post, use of point-of-care US in the ED has the potential to "flip" the older diagnostic and therapeutic pathway - use it!




4 comments:

  1. Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including herpes, diabetes, asthma, HIV, HSV1&2, hepatitis, HPV etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was cured from Herpes and HPV and my aunt and her husband were cured from Hiv too by DR. Chukwu madu herbs. He uses natural herbs to cure different kind of virus. Dr. CHUKWU,prove to the world that natural herbs can cure all illness and he cured countless people using herbs. I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. I was diagnose of Herpes and HPV in 2016 and i believe there is cure even when the doctors said there is no cure yet. I strongly believe in herbs and i came across a comment on a blog written by Lisa Pierre, saying she was cured from HERPES by Dr. CHUKWU MADU and i contacted his herbal hom on the email that was provided on the comment and order one for myself and he send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after i finish taken it i went for checkup and the result shows am Herpes and HPV NEGATIVE. The doctor said that the virus is completely gone from my body. There is no harm trying herbs it work perfectly and it has no effect. You can contact Dr. CHUKWU MADU to get yours.. His email is dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com.
    WhatsApp +2347030936239.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapy worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching or discomfort! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t mind! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete