Friday, September 16, 2011

Two "facts" about the diagnosis of ACS that you need to forget - Part I

Like the title says, I won't be discussing any new findings or developments in the recognition or diagnosis of ACS that you'll need to memorize, keep on your iPhone, or write on your hand. These are two "important facts" that are hammered into you during your training that are taking up valuable space in your brain, space that could be used for important stuff, like memorizing lines from The Simpsons.

The first thing you need to know is that asking crap about cardiac risk factors is a waste. Sure, it makes the chart look pretty and it gives the appearance of diligence. It also less-than-preferable when you are deep into presenting to an attending, having described in succinct but descriptive language the crushing pain the patient had, the sweating, the left arm heaviness, the relief with nitro, the concerning EKG findings... and all this becomes derailed when the attending asks about family history. "How can you possibly decide what to do with the patient," you are lectured, "if you don't know their risk factors!"

Don't fool yourself into believing that you are obtaining actionable intelligence, however. Knowing whether a patient smokes, takes Lipitor, or had a grampa that keeled over at 45 years of age should not be guiding your diagnostic reasoning.

Okay, so I can avoid sounding like some crazy heretic, let me start off the discussion with an appeal to authority. What do we find in the textbooks about this issue?

In the 2011 Tintinalli, we find that:
“All patients should also be questioned regarding the presence of cardiac risk factors, although these ‘risks’ are valid only for predicting the presence of coronary artery disease within a given population and are not predictive of the presence or absence of acute ischemia in an individual patient.”

Rosen's, as well, comments that:
“The presence of risk factors for a particular disease is primarily of value as an epidemiologic marker… In the ED, presence of risk factors in an individual patient without established disease has minimal or no effect on the clinical likelihood (pretest probability) of a specific disease process.”

Well, is this just the crazy, EM perspective? Nope, here's the American Heart Association in their 2007 NSTEMI guidelines, where they mention the use of risk factors in the initial history:

Even Lee Goldman, a cardiologist renowned for developing various eponymous criteria for determining cardiac risk, has not find the traditional risk factors to be useful, stating that "demographic and traditional risk factors (with the very notable exception of a history of MI or coronary disease) are of little importance in predicting the cause of acute chest pain.”

So, this isn't my wacky opinion, this is actually the conventional wisdom!

Now, perhaps you want some justification, a bit more meat in the argument. Let's check out the empirical evidence in two key studies. The first is the classic systematic review in JAMA, from their excellent Rational Clinical Exam series (results from these papers show up in the in-service!). Written by Panju et al., Is This Patient Having an MI? synthesizes a number of studies looking at the relative contribution of elements of the history, physical exam, and EKG.  There a few shortcomings in the methods, etc., but it is still one of the most oft-cited papers on the topic.
They find that:
Some of this was based on a nice study by Jayes in 1992. Multicenter, prospective collection of information of risk factors in adults being checked out for chest pain. Lotta patients, 1743 in fact. They ran the results through logistic regression and found:
Yeah, there seems to be a small bump in the RR for DM and family history, and barely for smoking. And only in men! These results are blown away by the RR for simply showing up with chest pain, in both men and women.

(Hey, wait a minute. Why is the risk of ACS higher in women with chest pain than for men? Aren't women supposed to present, like, all differently? I'll get to that "fact" in Part II.)

Well, that paper is a few years old now - anything newer out their? Why yes, in fact, there was an excellent single-center study done by Body et al. in Manchester, UK, in the ED. They prospectively obtained information on the standard risk factors (HTN, lipids, DM, smoking, and family history) on 804 adults coming in with "chest pain occurring within the past 24 h that the treating physician suspected to be cardiac in origin." Then they looked at who ruled in/out, and found that knowing the risk factors helped...
... not so much.

Of course, why did we ever expect that these classic risk factors would help us in the ED? This is epidemiological data, used in the office with the asymptomatic patient, to determine the risk of having an event in the next 10 years. Hey, if you're going to bust out your Framingham Risk calculator, knock yourself out, but realize you may be are answering a different question that the one you were aiming for.

You can also listen to this great podcast at ERCAST.

So, when it comes to the utility of cardiac risk factors in the ED, I'm actually not much of a heretic, and I'm not really espousing anything very controversial. I am going out on a bit of a limb, however, in Part II, where I deconstruct the "fact" that women with ACS present with significantly different symptoms and histories than men. Gonna have to show you some evidence there!

11 comments:

  1. Good day every one i want to inform the public on how i get cured of HIV/AIDS by a Doctor called OBUDU . i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him but i faund people testimony online testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me his herbal certificate and license given to him by his Government he gave all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now HIV negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great men. Am so excited, you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2347035974895.or contact him on email(OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM)
    And he can also cure the following diseases
    1) HERPES
    2) HPV
    4) HEPATITIS
    5) ALS
    6) BLOOD CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr OBUDU have been a great doctor even know in the world, am here today to tell the world my testimony about how i was cured from herpes.i was having this deadly disease called herpes in my body for the past 6 years but now i know longer have it again. i never know that this disease have cure not until i meet someone know to the world called Dr OBUDU he cured me from herpes he have been great to me and will also be great to you too. i have work with other doctor but nothing come out. one day i did a research and came across the testimony of a lady that also have same disease and got cured by Dr OBUDU. then i contacted his email and told him my problem.he told me not to worry that he have the cure i didn't believe him when he said so because my doctor told me there is no cure.he told me i need to get a herbal medicine for the cure which i did and now am totally cured you can also be cured of any other diseases too if only you believe in him. contact him via email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM you can also call or whatsapp him true his mobile number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete
  3. I contracted hpv' i was told there is no hpv cure except treatment to control it, i totally lost of hope all i could think loosing my life because it was so embarrass for been hpv patient. some weeks ago i read possible natural cure which was guarantee And I ordered the treatment after one week i got 100% cure. I'm so excited to shear this testimony to every article for others living with hpv there is possible natural treatment to eliminate the virus email Dr Onokun, his herbal clinic address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure  email  Dr onokun via: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  or website: https://dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com/facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want to say a very big thanks to Dr Aluya for helping me return my boyfriend home with his powerful spell i never believe my boyfriend will come back to me after Eight months of breaking up with me i decided to go online to search for a powerful spell caster i met a lot of testimony online about Dr Aluya so i decided to give him a try and i contacted him for help and he give me his words not to worry about anything once He is done with his work after 48hrs my boyfriend is going to be back,after 48hrs i receive a phone call when i pick it i hard my boyfriend voice and he started pleading with me to forgive him  which i did for more info you can contact his Email aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com you can also add him up on whatsapp +2348110493039 may God continue to bless your hand work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do not let your Doctor lie to you and make you believe there is no cure for HSV, I was a Herpes patient until I came in contact with Dr Lucky who used his natural herbs to cure me of HSV now I'm negative to genital email him; drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do not let your Doctor lie to you and make you believe there is no cure for HSV, I was a Herpes patient until I came in contact with Dr Lucky who used his natural herbs to cure me of HSV now I'm negative to genital email him; drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do not let your Doctor lie to you and make you believe there is no cure for HSV, I was a Herpes patient until I came in contact with Dr Lucky who used his natural herbs to cure me of HSV now I'm negative to genital email him; drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapy worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically to an extent but it was thin and hard to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and discomfort! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete